Monday, August 08, 2005

I ran my first 5K!!!!

This past Saturday August 6, 2005 I ran my first actual 5K Yayyy me!!!! Thank you Jesus. I remember when I first started running I never thought that within a year I'd be able to run a 5k which is the equivalent of 3.1 miles. Shoot it was an accomplishment to make it to 1 mile yall should've seen me when I made it to one mile. I was jumping around and just praising the Lord. I know people thought that I looked crazy or probably was crazy but I didn't care, I had never been able to run that far. Even in highschool in track and field I could never do a complete 4 laps without having side stitches and feeling like passing out so when I made that milestone I was on cloud 9!
Now I've completed a 5k and you know what I'm going to continue to run 5K races. I had a really great time, the runners were so nice it was scary I mean at the mile markers there were actually people on the sideline encouraging us and tell us to keep going. There was a set of runners then there was a set of walkers. At the start of the race I was at the front of the runners and when the gun went off we began running and everyone began passing me up LOL. So i made a mental note *next time start somewhere in the Back of the line so as to refrain from embarassment* HAHA. but it was no big deal because I wasn't there to win the race I was there to see if I could do it. And believe me honey I was passed up by everyone LOL. I was the last runner to cross the finish line in 41:20 minutes, and actually got passed up by some speed walkers LOL, but I was still on cloud 9! it began pouring down raining and believe me honey I got drenched!!! So much so that I had to take off my glasses and put them in my pocket LOL But I kept going. And not one time did I stop running and start walking like some of the other women were doing, I ran the whole thing. I was so proud of myself that I was able to do it.

There was one thing that I was wondering about though, When we were almost finished and had about 2 meters to run My back began to tighten up a little and there was pressure in my upper back, I wonder what that was all about maybe I was working some musles and had a little tension? I dunno? Anyways it was a great! We got poured down on but it was still great My kids ran a lil bug kids run and got to participate in alot of fun activities. unfortunately hubby had to work so he wasn't able to make it but he was very proud of me. I give all glory honor and credit to God. And I thank God for putting the words in my head: The race is not given to the swift, neither the battle to the strong, but to him that endureth to the end. The whole time I ran that's all I though I'm enduring I'm doing it and That's what matters. Maybe next year my speed will be alot faster, when I lose some more weight. But until then I will continue to endure. Thank you Jesus!!!!

Septemeber 28th 2004 I made a decision to lose weight and be healthy with God's help and so far I've lost 55 lbs, I also decided to give this running thing a try cause it seemed that every runner I saw out on the road were fairly petite and small and I figured that must be the best way to lose weight. Plus that fact that I used to be a sprinter and shot put and discus champ in school I figured hey hopefully I can do this. I started running at 305lbs and I would run 30 seconds and walk 3 minutes then run again and to me those 30 seconds would just about kill me I'd be spitting up phlegm every 2-3 minutes or so. Then the more I ran the longer it was like my body was getting used to the running and it got a little easier. There was no more spitting, and my breathing began evening out. Then I went to a running store to buy some runners and I recieved tips from a rep in a running store that helped me out 60% in my endurance and my form when running. I slowed down with the running in the winter months because I was terrified to go outside and run on slippery surfaces and so I went to the gym and just walked. Then when the spring whether began to break in March-April I got back into the swing of things as far as running outside and such and began gaining endurance and here I am in August able to run a 3.1 mile race. Praise GOd!! okay well until I report next time be blessed!

1 Comments:

At 12:29 PM , Blogger MrsDawsondn said...

hey lady "waving frantically" get with me anytime!!! (happy to see an np. member with a blog). I'm gonna go check yours out now. If you wanna email me or anything just hit me up at Mrsdawsondn@hotmail.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home